“He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense.”
– Joseph Conrad
That is one of the golden rules every student/young writer should memorize to carry out meaningful, powerful persuasive papers. The initial step to success is choosing the most interesting persuasive essay topics. To choose which subject you are going to discuss, it is necessary to view the full list of good persuasive speech topics from the particular field of study.
GET YOUR PERFECT RERSUASIVE ESSAY NOW
Dedicate a few minutes to looking through this article. It contains a number of the good persuasive speech topics high school & college teachers tend to assign. Do you have any questions left? A professional online writing service is willing to help every student who has problems with meeting the deadlines or writing argumentative papers.
Why Would a Student Need a List of the Interesting Persuasive Essay Topics?
What if I tell you that by reading this article every student will learn more about how to pick interesting persuasive essay topics and receive A+. Isn’t it a goal of each school/college student? Having more than 100 good persuasive essay topics is never enough without several supportive skills:
- Reading & Comprehension
- Research & Analysis
- Critical Thinking
The initial step to success is still selecting the subject to write about and acknowledging the opposing arguments.
Another great idea is to get some free essay examples of different types and on various subjects to get an overall idea of how a successful debatable paper looks.
The rest of the skills are gained during the elementary & middle school education. The teachers do not always assign the particular topic. Many students get stuck at the stage of choosing the subject; they fail the mission by being late.
It sounds like enough reasons to read the proposed article, which contains more than 100 interesting persuasive essay topics and valuable writing tips. Have I persuaded you to go on reading? It is the brilliant example of persuasive writing!
7 Tickets to a Winning Persuasive Essay
Take a stand: The golden rule of persuasive writing number one. Forget about the wishy-washy declarations in this type of academic writing: avoid generalizations like “Gender Studies as a school subject has its advantages & disadvantages.” A student must take a specific position (example: “Gender Studies is a useless, discriminative subject that must be removed from the high school/college curriculum.”
Check whether you have enough evidence to support the main argument (thesis statement). Conduct an in-depth research sitting in front of your computer or a school/college library. Apply both primary & secondary sources to collect different points of view, shocking facts, and impressive statistics.
“If you don’t know what you want to achieve in your presentation your audience never will.”
– Harvey Diamond
Decide on the target audience. Harvey is not the one to prove the significant role of the target reading/listening audience in the persuasive essay writing.
Out of the list of good persuasive speech topics, make a shorter list specifying the ideas you are familiar with and possess enough evidence to support your argument. The writer’s position must make sense (example: instead of claiming that murder is bad, state that a death penalty is not the most effective punishment and it will not stop serial killers fro what they do.)
Follow the accepted academic paper structure: introduction, 3-5 body paragraphs (one argument per each), conclusion, and Bibliography/References page.
Define the purpose. Are you trying to introduce an unpopular view on the subject of matter or are you writing to prove your position is right? The tone/voice of the final paper depends on these factors.
Add something more than evidence. Write your paper on one of the interesting persuasive essay topics based on the collected evidence, but do not forget to include other supporting elements such as examples & meaningful explanations. It would be great to write about things the writer has faced in his life.
GET YOUR PERSUASIVE ESSAY HERE
Enjoy 103 Good Persuasive Speech Topics: Make Your Choice Wisely!
Are you waiting impatiently to view the recommended list of good persuasive speech topics? We have divided 100+ cool persuasive topics into separate categories to make it simpler to choose the subject based on the student’s specialization.
Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- Girls and boys can play in the same games teams
- Every professional athlete must pass the drug test before the contest
- What is the role of sports day in educational life?
- Are athletes better role models than rock stars?
- High school & college sportsmen should be paid
- Extreme kinds of sports must be banned for children
- The scandals may ruin the Olympic Games
- David Beckham is an overrated football player
- Swimming is the safest and healthiest type of sports
- The role of Physical Education in modern schools is underestimated
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
- Schools should make the classes shorter and more frequent
- It is important to decrease the amount of homework (get inspired)
- Why do parents deserve a greater impact on education?
- Which subject can be excluded from the high school program?
- Teachers deserve shorter holidays
- Students need longer holidays
- Gender Studies is a discriminative subject
- Should students be rewarded for the high test scores?
- Is there a way to punish school bullying effectively?
- Should schools abolish examinations?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Animals
- Why protecting a Giant Panda is critical?
- Zoos are worse than human prisons
- A zoo is much better than a jail
- Foxes should be bred into the home pets
- What is the least dangerous animal on the planet?
- The influence of wild animals on nature
- Hunting for sport is an acceptable pastime
- They should make hunting illegal
- No one has a right to keep wild-caught exotic animals against their will
- People should stop wearing fur & leather clothing
Good Persuasive Essay Topics for High School
- Pros and cons of wearing a school uniform
- The problem of hate crime in schools
- Our society is no longer male-dominated
- Does modern TV impinge on the adolescent’s intellect?
- Global Warming: myth or truth?
- The ethical & moral aspects of cloning
- Abortions should be illegal
- Death sentence is an acceptable punishing measure
- Companies must start paying paternity leave to fathers
- Should various communication devices be allowed during the examinations?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Music
- Percussionists cannot be called professional musicians
- It is time to make music literacy a mandatory element of high school/college curricula
- Are school students better off studying dance or music?
- Why are American and British musicians more paid than the artists from the rest of the world?
- Does it make sense to invest in your personal band?
- Every person with normal hearing can sing
- Playing bass guitar is not easier than playing 6-string electro guitar
- Music is one of the best treatments to cure mental disorders
- Can some genres like heavy metal push the children to commit suicide?
- Is gothic music focus on the topic of death?
Science Persuasive Essay Topics
- Are cell phones safe?
- They must allow the law enforcement to apply DNA profiling in criminal investigations
- People have no right to conduct medical research on animal species
- The government should participate in developing measures necessary to prevent rare species of plants/animals from extinction
- Our activity contributes to the global warming
- People alone are responsible for the high level of pollution in the atmosphere
- Should oil companies be held more accountable in terms of the oil spills?
- Can marijuana be used as a medical treatment?
- They should stop cloning animals
- Is it safe to eat genetically modified food?
Persuasive Essay Topics for Elementary Students
- The positive outcomes of war
- Homework writing assignments are useless in elementary school
- Collecting cars or dolls is the most boring hobby in the world
- Students of any age must have permission to keep their devices on during the class
- School cafeteria serve almost poisonous food
- Colleges must provide students with the free lunches
- Money can bring happiness
- Should students do homework tasks every night?
- Why can every child have a pet?
- What has more impact - recycling or donating?
Self-Help Writing Ideas
- Improve your time management to succeed at work
- The way to dress for success
- Why is it important to be true?
- Do the embarrassing episodes make people stronger?
- Potential catastrophes make people who survive value their lives more than before
- Should people live their lives spontaneously?
- Are determination and hard work enough to be successful?
- Self-confident is the most important personal trait
- Hobbies help to continue personal growth
- Is music a stress reliever capable of decreasing depression?
Government & Politics Argumentative Paper Ideas
- Recruiters must be required to post job vacancies on a government-run website
- Why is it the responsibility of our government to shelter homeless people?
- Must the religious groups drive the state fund schools?
- Puerto Rico should become a state
- Alaska has never belonged to the United States
- Barack Obama deserves to be printed on the new US banknotes
- Justice system in the United States has to be improved
- The military budget is rather huge: it is time to reduce it!
- Is a war on drugs failure?
- Marijuana can help to achieve peace around the world
Funny & Humorous Debatable Paper Ideas
(more ideas to make your homework answers smart!)
- Blondes are not necessarily dumb
- Humorous pick-up lines work
- Do men gossip more than women?
- Why should students be allowed to drink beer at school?
- They should assign PE writing homework
- Never let your parents become your FaceBook friends/followers
- Moms can be more fun & crazy than dads
- Debatable essays are pointless
- “Family Guy” displayed “Star Wars” better than George Lucas
- Men should start wearing pink clothing
Find a bonus: 3 more good persuasive essay topics you may write about:
- Reservation casinos are beneficial if managed properly (Finances class).
- Should Scotland gain independence? (History class)
- There is no way to defend & support gay marriage (International Relations class).
The proposed list of the good persuasive speech topics gives a clear understanding of what to write about to impress a high school/college teacher or the public. Choose the topic wisely! A student must be comfortable with his choice and elaborate on it to develop a powerful thesis and defend it. Don’t forget to add a strong hook at the beginning (introduction paragraph) and end up with an impressive conclusion to make the reader want to discuss the interesting persuasive essay topics of your choice. We wish you good luck!
P.S. Keep in mind you can contact online academic writers to assist in topic selection as well as writing the whole paper from A to Z.
Persuasive Speech Topics
Persuasive speech refers to a particular type of speech in which the speaker has the objective of persuading the audience to accept his or her perspective. The first step is to get an appropriate topic for the speech. It should be in an area that you understand and which your audience can relate to. Consequently, it is important to know the audience before agreeing to present the speech. Furthermore, this will enable the speaker to anticipate objections to his ideas and to address them so that it is a balanced presentation.
The second step involves setting a goal. This is informed by what the speaker wants the audience to do. For example, a politician would want the audience to vote for him or her. The third step is to ensure that the speech is localized. The speaker should use local examples whenever possible. This is because human beings are prone to care if the issue being discussed is something they can relate to. Fourth, the speech should evoke empathy. Moreover, it should be backed by evidence. Therefore, the speaker should ensure that they use credible and relevant sources.
Fifth, the speech should address the other side of the argument. This will not only make it balanced, but will also add value to the speech by enabling the speaker to strike down opposing ideas. Lastly, having gathered all the material required for the speech, the speaker should select the structure of the speech. The structure should be deliberately chosen to ensure it suits the topic, audience and purpose of the speech.
EssayBasics has over 120+ professional essay writers!
Persuasive speeches can be made interesting by the use of rhetorical questions to provoke the audience to think about the ideas being presented. Furthermore, the audience will appreciate an honest presentation of ideas. In addition, the use of a statistics will add weight to the speech. Moreover, the infusion of light humor will entertain the guests.
However, persuasive speech writing presents a number of difficulties. First, the speaker must ensure that they present a balanced argument without undermining their point of view. Second, the audience may be unresponsive to the speech. Third, the speaker has to strike a balance between presenting an insufficient speech and a long one which would bore the audience. Furthermore, the speaker has to ensure that they do not alienate the audience even as they present their genuine perspective on the subject.
List of topics for a persuasive speech:
Topics on health and wellness
- Meat consumption is harmful to human health.
- The fast food industry is accountable for the high obesity rates in society.
- Drug addicts should be sent to hospitals rather than prisons
- Universal health care coverage should be made compulsory for everyone.
- Grocery stores should be forced to label GMO products as such.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- Patients and their families should have the right to choose euthanasia.
- E cigarettes as the safe alternative to cigarettes
- Alcoholism is a behavioral disorder.
- Bulimia should be considered a life threatening disease.
- Anorexia should be treated immediately after diagnosis.
- All pregnant women must have a compulsory HIV/AIDS test.
- Genetically modified foods should be banned.
- Blood donation should be made mandatory to the public.
- Smokers should pay additional health tax.
- School cafeterias contribute to rise in childhood obesity.
- Low fat foods are the healthier alternatives.
- Sugary snacks and sodas sold in school vending machines and bake sales must be banned.
- Availability of HIV test kits in drug stores.
- Doctors should be allowed to prescribe birth control pills to 16 year old girls.
Topics on social, ethical and gender issues
- Marijuana should be legalized.
- Gun ownership should be banned.
- Abortion should be legalized.
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Single parents should be allowed to adopt children.
- Surrogate motherhood should be outlawed.
- Freedom of speech is more important than security of state.
- Voting should be made compulsory.
- Elders over the age of 65 should be banned from voting.
- The voting age should be reduced to 16 years.
- Each board of directors should be forced to have 30% female representation.
- Bloggers should be regulated.
- Should product testing on humans and animals allowed?
- Female genital mutilation should be outlawed.
- Why you should not choose your child’s genetics.
- Male and female construction workers should earn the same salary.
- Domestic abuse awareness should be increased.
- Polygamy should be recognized by the law.
- Life imprisonment is the appropriate substitute for death penalty.
- Gay people should be accepted in the society.
Topics on politics and government
- America should adopt an isolationist policy.
- The American democratic system is broken.
- The expenditure of the military should be capped.
- The war on drugs is a failure.
- Zoning laws should be common sense.
- America should go back to conservatism.
- Role of media in politics.
- Autocracy versus democracy.
- Should Puerto Rico become a separate state?
- How policy works in local governments.
- Fixing potholes is the priority of the local government.
- The government should increase funding of Amtrak.
- Whose face should be printed in the newest blank note?
- Should people be drug tested for state aid?
- The government should have a say on the number of children a family can have.
- Should the government fund institutions run by religious groups?
- The government should provide shelter for the homeless.
- Scotland should be independent.
- Multiparty politics is the way to go.
- Anarchism is better than all forms of governance.
Topics on economy and monetary issues
- Unpaid internships are slave labor.
- Developed countries should bear the cost of combating climate change.
- The estate tax should be broken.
- Religious organizations should pay taxes.
- Patents inhibit rather than protect innovation.
- The tax system is broken.
- Politicians’ pay should be tied to economic growth.
- The capitalist system is broken.
- Frequent absenteeism in the workplace should be punished by salary reduction.
- Effect of NAFTA on employment in the United States.
- E- Commerce as a substitute to traditional trade.
- Gun control laws can ruin the fire arm industry.
- Should successful entrepreneurs who dropped out of college share their success stories?
- All brands should use social media accounts.
- All small businesses should have websites.
- Pay should be based on performance.
- Call center outsourcing to India cuts cost.
- Pre- employment drug testing is necessary.
- English should remain the international language for business.
- Can the European debt crisis affect America’s small businesses?
Topics on school and education
- Students should be subjected to mandatory drug and pregnancy tests.
- There should be compulsory youth service for all high school graduates before joining college.
- Every student should be forced to learn how to code.
- Students must wear uniforms.
- Every student should learn at least one foreign language.
- Exams should be abolished.
- Video cameras should be installed in classes to monitor teachers- students’ interaction.
- No homework should be assigned to students during weekends.
- Schools should shift from a nine month school year to year – round schooling.
- Armed policemen and metallic detectors should be installed in all schools.
- Art and music are an essential part of education.
- Should boys and girls have separate study halls?
- Schools should have a mandatory life skills class.
- Should state colleges be free?
- Why we should support education in developing countries.
- Schools with constant low test scores should be closed.
- Students responsible for bullying should be expelled from school.
- Teachers should have to pass a test of basic skills every decade to renew their certifications.
- Should free college tuition be offered to poor students?
- Students should be allowed to listen to music during prep time.
Topics on sports and physical education
- American football should be banned in colleges.
- Sports salaries should be capped.
- Sports men and women are role models.
- Drug tests must be carried out for players in all levels.
- Students in sports teams should attain a certain grade point average in order to play.
- Coaches should give secondary school level players equal playing time regardless of skills.
- College athletes are smart.
- Mind reading during poker games should be banned.
- Soccer mums should establish their own soccer leagues.
- Boxing is no longer an entertaining sport.
- Athletics is given more priority as compared to other sports.
- Cheerleading should not be considered as a sport.
- The media should give female sports more coverage.
- All students should enroll in sports programs to keep fit.
- Grading of students should include their gym and sports activities.
- Athletes who take performance enhancing drugs should be banned from professional sport practice.
- Parents – spectators should sign a “Spectator Expectation Code of Conduct.”
- Spectator sports are overemphasized in America today.
- Physical education should be mandatory to students every day of the week.
- Great college sportsmen and women involved in doping should not be admitted to the Hall of Fame.
Topics on security and civil liberties
- Whistleblowers who disclose NSA and CIA secrets should not be discriminated.
- The United Nations is an efficient means of solving international crises.
- Space tours should be discouraged.
- There should be stronger limits on immigration.
- Racial profiling is necessary.
- The war on terrorism is a failure.
- It is unfair for the government to detain suspected terrorists without proper trial.
- United States bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki cannot be justified.
- The US should withdraw its troops overseas.
- Development of nuclear weapons can fuel a Third World War.
- A ban on gun ownership in America can cause a civil war.
- The International Criminal Court has failed in prosecuting those guilty for crimes against humanity.
- Terrorism is a worldwide disaster.
- Does the US federal government have the authority to detain without charge or search without problem cause?
- Domestic wiretapping and surveillance is not acceptable without a court order.
- The US Patriot Act does not jeopardize civil liberties.
- The government should authorize spying on citizens’ phones’ information so as to curb security threats.
- All foreigners entering America should leave two fingerprints and a digital photograph of themselves.
- Flag burning as a form of protest should be prohibited.
- Cyber security awareness should be raised.
Topics on environment
- Hunting should be outlawed to protect indigenous species.
- Nuclear power is better than other renewable energy sources.
- Pollution is negatively affecting humanity.
- We need to invest more in alternative fuels.
- Recycling should be compulsory.
- Only native plants should be grown I gardens.
- Cashless system is the key to saving trees.
- Use of bicycles reduces amount of carbon emissions.
- Un-reusable plastic should be banned.
- Embracing ecotourism reduces global pollution problem.
- Global warming is a worldwide concern.
- Air pollution has a negative health impact.
- All manufacturing industries should build a recycling center.
- Licenses must be obtained before cutting down trees.
- Bush meat should be banned.
- Global warming is a universal disaster.
- Selling of wildlife trophies should be rated as a universal felony.
- Carpooling and use of public transport minimize pollution.
- Releasing of factory fumes into the air should be punishable by law.
- Fishing regulations are necessary for environmental conservation.
Topics on psychology
- The Myers Briggs test is not a valid measure of personalities.
- Not all mentally people are violent.
- Dreams don’t possess any symbolic meaning.
- Hypnosis does not help retrieve memories of forgotten events.
- Lie detectors are always effective at unmasking lies.
- Inkblot tests can’t tell much about someone’s personality.
- 21- Day practice of something makes it stick.
- Chocolate helps avoid depression.
- Laughter is the best way to connect with people.
- Changing residences is good for individual’s social development.
- Memories of the past affect our present emotional well- being.
- Social networks are addictive, why?
- How music evokes sadness.
- IQ scores; heredity versus environment.
- Different cognitive styles influence learning outcomes.
- Critical thinking should be the central element of any study curriculum.
- Reasons why “good girls” fall for “bad boys”.
- Psychiatric conditions don’t get worse during full moons.
- Justify Pavlov’s dog experiment.
- Midlife crisis is an issue of concern.
Topics on technology
- There should be a plan for the internet.
- Technology is more of a curse than a blessing.
- Television promotes violence in children.
- The sale of video games to children should be prohibited.
- Desktop computers are outdated.
- Traditional books are better than e-books.
- School and household internet should be filtered.
- Smart phones should be prohibited for teens below 16 years of age.
- Text books are obsolete.
- Online search engines have killed libraries.
- Technology has made health care delivery easier.
- Internet censorship is appropriate.
- The world is a global village.
- Machines make people lazy.
- Tablets and smart notebooks should replace paper.
- Computer games make children stupid.
- Hybrid vehicles save on energy.
- Technology is the key contributor to innovation.
- The level of development in a country is determined by the milestones made in technology.
- Everybody should have a smartphone.